Server Stability

News about StepMania Online.
houkouonchi
Site Admin

Server Stability

Postby houkouonchi » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:24 pm

So I think I finally verified what causes the freezes and fixed the problem.

It looks like when a users connection timed out in a weird way due to a connection problem (like a router reset) and not just a normal client crash you could get a case where the user could login a second time and be duplicated. If the new user played a song while the duplicated user is still on the server it caused the freeze. A couple people helped me verify this last night.

I changed the server code so now when you login it checks to see if your already logged in and will kick your original connection (disconnecting the user) when you login the second time which should prevent this situation from coming up.

Also the other major bug starting a song when a player lacks or right when a player joins it causes everyone to hang I think that bug is taken care of to. I implemented a bunch of the newer code from Angelo's OpenSMO that fixed this. Before running all the code changes caused the server to be crashy but it seems ok with just the change for fixing this bug. If it does crash unlike before we have the ability to easily trace what line it is crashing on and thus can be troubleshooted pretty easily (much easier than these freezes that don't give us debugging output).

I tested quite a few cases (even a hung client) and in the case where a lacker would cause a problem their client just doesnt start playing (everyone else does) and they have to wait for the next song. Or if a person spam selects and everyone lacks then only that person will start and the others wont without hanging.

As of 10 minutes ago the server is running this new version which I hope will prove to be much more stable.

Izzy

Re: Server Stability

Postby Izzy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:28 pm

This seems like pretty big news.

If that server wide freeze is actually fixed by removing duplicates then we can probably hit a week or more in uptime.

bombastik

Postby bombastik » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:31 pm

I hope too that this will make server more stable ;)

Cube
Site Admin

Postby Cube » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:32 pm

2 days is the record without a freeze. Hopefully this is it! Then we can really start on the new features.

foxfire667

Postby foxfire667 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:13 pm

This is absolutely phenomenal news! The server up-time without these little freezes getting in the way will be so much better, I may never need to reconnect to the smo server again due to connection loss!

houkouonchi
Site Admin

Postby houkouonchi » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:06 pm

Ok so we got a crash which has to do with the server logging. Honestly I am using a dfifferent method (native to linux) to log the output (including error output for stack trace stuff) and we have gotten this crash before so I think I am going to disable the logging to the file in the server code all together and let the linux function take care of that from the program output to console.

houkouonchi
Site Admin

Postby houkouonchi » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:13 pm

houkouonchi wrote:Ok so we got a crash which has to do with the server logging. Honestly I am using a dfifferent method (native to linux) to log the output (including error output for stack trace stuff) and we have gotten this crash before so I think I am going to disable the logging to the file in the server code all together and let the linux function take care of that from the program output to console.

Ok. Server is restarted and up on the new version with no longer logging to a logfile so the crash that it ran into earlier should not happen anymore. I will be on the lookout for any other or new crashes.

houkouonchi
Site Admin

Postby houkouonchi » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:35 pm

Up 3.5 hours and counting...

houkouonchi
Site Admin

Postby houkouonchi » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:25 pm

Server has not crashed since I updated it to a newer release 11.5 hours ago. If I see that same new crash again and I cant successfully create an exception to avoid the crash then I will roll back the fix that prevents users from starting while people lack and client hang and just have the freeze fix in it.

houkouonchi
Site Admin

Postby houkouonchi » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:42 pm

Ok. The sever is no longer including the part of the fix that would prevent the client hang when u started and one of the clients left but hopefully should be stable as it was that code change causing the crash and not the freeze fix code change.

houkouonchi
Site Admin

Postby houkouonchi » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:00 pm

houkouonchi wrote:Ok. The sever is no longer including the part of the fix that would prevent the client hang when u started and one of the clients left but hopefully should be stable as it was that code change causing the crash and not the freeze fix code change.

With one of my other changes it appears that the code causing the crash was not even needed. Since removing that code not a single crash. Server has been up over 20 hours now.

houkouonchi
Site Admin

Postby houkouonchi » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:58 am

houkouonchi wrote:
houkouonchi wrote:Ok. The sever is no longer including the part of the fix that would prevent the client hang when u started and one of the clients left but hopefully should be stable as it was that code change causing the crash and not the freeze fix code change.

With one of my other changes it appears that the code causing the crash was not even needed. Since removing that code not a single crash. Server has been up over 20 hours now.

Looks like the client hang when someone leaves just as starting can still happen in some cases (although harder to reproduce) with the code taken out.

That being said the server has remained stable. up 36 hours now.

Also the beta server (port 9999) has a few changes that I will push live in the next day or two:

New command:

\showoffset

This tracks your marvelous and perfect notes and how far away from 0ms (perfect timing) you were. Then at the end of the song when it prints the summary in the room it will include a format like:

+250/-140 +5.678ms

That means 250 notes were after (+ values) and 140 were before and the average offset (away from 0) was 5.678ms. This can help with making sure your global offset is set well. If your timing is optimal and you are playing consistently (like a easy song) then the + and - count should be nearly equal and the ms value should be as close to 0 as possible (under 1ms is ideal).

Bug Fixes:
Toasty's continued your combo after the song. That is no longer the case.
Duplicate noteskin for 3.95 clients should no longer be duplicated.
The Personal best/ Total best should now be correct.
The amount of times the song has been played should be accurate (and match the site).

General Changes/enhancements:
Full combo'ing a song with atleast 150 notes nets you an extra 100 XP
You now get extra XP for multi arrow notes (IE jumps). If the song is pure jumpstream this could potentially earn you double the XP.

Izzy

Postby Izzy » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:07 pm

This thread makes more sense in the news section.

houkouonchi wrote:New command:

\showoffset
This tracks your marvelous and perfect notes and how far away from 0ms (perfect timing) you were. Then at the end of the song when it prints the summary in the room it will include a format like:

I assume this works with more than 1 person on the server now? :)
Would it print in the room for everyone to see or just you?

houkouonchi wrote:General Changes/enhancements:
Full combo'ing a song with atleast 150 notes nets you an extra 100 XP
You now get extra XP for multi arrow notes (IE jumps). If the song is pure jumpstream this could potentially earn you double the XP.

These changes are great. The exp should now be much more based on the difficulty of the song.

houkouonchi
Site Admin

Postby houkouonchi » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:12 pm

Izzy wrote:I assume this works with more than 1 person on the server now? :)
Would it print in the room for everyone to see or just you?

Yeah it should. And it prints it in the room where everyone can see what your values were.

EvilAngel00

Postby EvilAngel00 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:20 am

houkouonchi wrote:New command:

\showoffset

+250/-140 +5.678ms

That means 250 notes were after (+ values) and 140 were before and the average offset (away from 0) was 5.678ms. This can help with making sure your global offset is set well. If your timing is optimal and you are playing consistently (like a easy song) then the + and - count should be nearly equal and the ms value should be as close to 0 as possible (under 1ms is ideal).

This feature is amazing ! :shock: Thank you! I always wanted to have a real feedback on how early or late I am playing. With ITG notation you get -Excellent if you're early and Excellent- if you're late but the auto-sync machine can't correct that well for timings that small.

Is it live yet or you are still testing it ? Anyway, I'm really excited to test this ! :lol:

Great job !

Izzy

Postby Izzy » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:37 am

It's already been tested, but it isn't live quite yet. Houkou will probably make a post here once he updates the current version.

bombastik

Postby bombastik » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:16 am

houkouonchi wrote:
houkouonchi wrote:
houkouonchi wrote:
\showoffset

+250/-140 +5.678ms

I dont understand this.
Today houkouonchi updater server and he was add this.
In 70 % songs i got like -2.2xxms and -2.8xxms,so what my global offset must be?

EDIT: LOL but then again,when I play easy song i have 0.00ms and -0.02 wtf

houkouonchi
Site Admin

Postby houkouonchi » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:31 am

if your getting <1ms and its an easy song (like AAA) and your +/- number count is almost even then that usually means your spot on and your sync is very close to what it should be.

bombastik

Postby bombastik » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:03 am

Tnx for info ;)

P.S. offtopic,i didnt know that u know japanese ahahaha

houkouonchi
Site Admin

Postby houkouonchi » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:19 pm

bombastik wrote:Tnx for info ;)

P.S. offtopic,i didnt know that u know japanese ahahaha

Heh, I do. How did you find out? I actually took 3 years (6 semmesters) of classes when I was in college 2003 -> 2006 and I lived in Japan in 2009.

Return to “StepMania Online News”