StepMania 5 Beta 1

News about StepMania Online.
Cube
Site Admin

StepMania 5 Beta 1

Postby Cube » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:43 pm

Stepmania 5 Beta 1 Now Available!

Lots of work has been put into this release so please try it out.

Change Log

StepMania 5.0 Beta 1 (Windows)
StepMania 5.0 Beta 1 (Mac OS X)

If you run into any bugs please report them here.

Pete_n00b

Re: StepMania 5 Beta 1

Postby Pete_n00b » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:13 am

Installing atm, i'll edit my opinions once i try it :p

edit: Dunno if I didn't install right, or it's just the same as the other Stepmania 5
Hello :>

Izzy

Postby Izzy » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:53 am

It will surely look the same. Whatever they changed might not even be noticeable. Changelog shows various bugfixes, etc.

The point of this post was probably to promote Stepmania 5.

shakesoda

Postby shakesoda » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:20 pm

One of the changes broke a few themes, so we're doing a 1a release today tomorrow that fixes those and has some improvements to the default theme.

edit: why is [s] in the menu but doesn't work?

Cube
Site Admin

Postby Cube » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:23 pm

shakesoda wrote:edit: why is [s] in the menu but doesn't work?

Fixed

StephenIsFast

Postby StephenIsFast » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:58 pm

I'm a little dissapointed in this beta, it still doesn't fix 2 major problems my computer has:

• Constant low frame rate. I even got the beta 1a update but I try turning off vsync and lowering graphic quality, the game still runs slow.

• Crashes when I select settings to disable holds, mainly for eyesore parts such as the start of IcyWorld's version of Abyssal.

• Sorry for a extra problem, but can't there even be a way to set your own C mod speed like in FFR???

Other than that, the beta dissapoints me. But I barely see any changes except for the song options and the copyright date for beta 1a changed. I need to check the changelig if any of these related problems are in the beta 1a fixes.

EDIT: Heres the crashes I have in Stepmania 5 in both alpha 3 and beta 1:

SMO: Game crashes when turning on either "no holds" or "no hands". Even then, it would probably crash the game after a song.

SMO: Turning on "no jumps" plays fine, but after a song, the game crashes itself.

Strange offline crash: Selecting Endless mode crashes the game during the black screen wait to load some stuff up, I don't know if there's some stuff programmed in there or the game screwed up.

Cube
Site Admin

Postby Cube » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:51 pm

StephenIsFast wrote:I'm a little dissapointed in this beta, it still doesn't fix 2 major problems my computer has:

• Constant low frame rate. I even got the beta 1a update but I try turning off vsync and lowering graphic quality, the game still runs slow.

• Crashes when I select settings to disable holds, mainly for eyesore parts such as the start of IcyWorld's version of Abyssal.

• Sorry for a extra problem, but can't there even be a way to set your own C mod speed like in FFR???

Other than that, the beta dissapoints me. But I barely see any changes except for the song options and the copyright date for beta 1a changed. I need to check the changelig if any of these related problems are in the beta 1a fixes.

SMO: Game crashes when turning on either "no holds" or "no hands". Even then, it would probably crash the game after a song.

SMO: Turning on "no jumps" plays fine, but after a song, the game crashes itself.

Strange offline crash: Selecting Endless mode crashes the game during the black screen wait to load some stuff up, I don't know if there's some stuff programmed in there or the game screwed up.

It would be really great if you could report the crashes the proper way. the only way to get these things fixed is to report them.

http://ssc.ajworld.net/sm-ssc/bugtracker/

Make sure to include your crash logs.

Also http://code.google.com/p/sm-ssc/wiki/CustomSpeedMods

hakulyte

Postby hakulyte » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:28 pm

Ohai, just posting general path info for people new to sm5 who may run in similar issues than me.

Screenshot Folder is in: (you can copy this directly in address bar in my computer).

Code: Select all

%appdata%\Stepmania 5\Screenshots

Speedmods are linked directly to profiles so let's say my first profile is Hakulyte. I need to go here:

Code: Select all

%appdata%\StepMania 5\Save\LocalProfiles\ (if there's no number you need to create a profile in the game.)

..and select 00000000 folder for the first profile etc. etc.
Then you need to edit SpeedMods.txt which is fairly straightforward (there's nothing do to besides adding your cmods directly).
If you delete the default values in the text file they're still in-game regardless, but you can add more cmods and it works if you're playing on your profile and synced with the game. (if you lose connection it's possible that you need to re-connect to get your speedmods back.
In worse case you can just reload the game and it should work.)
Note: There's no English.ini to edit or anything to avoid errors, it works directly.

Have fun with the game.

StephenIsFast

Postby StephenIsFast » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:52 am

Cube wrote:
StephenIsFast wrote:I'm a little dissapointed in this beta, it still doesn't fix 2 major problems my computer has:

It would be really great if you could report the crashes the proper way. the only way to get these things fixed is to report them.

http://ssc.ajworld.net/sm-ssc/bugtracker/

Make sure to include your crash logs.

Also http://code.google.com/p/sm-ssc/wiki/CustomSpeedMods

I can't report them to the ssc site because I have to sign up on the site to report it.

@@

Postby @@ » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:29 am

So, I realize this is probably a low priority item, but foreground effects for the most part don't work. They didn't work in the alpha either, I am unsure whether or not you guys really plan on working on that.

EDIT: This issue may actually be less of a low priority one than you think. I would say that the majority of the ITG community uses oITG to create steps. When talking with a few ITG players about using Stepmania 5, many don't like the inability to see foreground effects. Having the ability to see them would maybe convert some oITG users to Stepmania 5.
Last edited by @@ on Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foxfire667

Postby foxfire667 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:25 pm

StephenIsFast wrote:I can't report them to the ssc site because I have to sign up on the site to report it.

What's stopping you from doing that? Signing up really doesn't take that long, and could help developers out if you are experiencing issues like this. That is unless you feel any of the issues you listed aren't important enough to bother reporting to be fixed for some reason.

Cube
Site Admin

Postby Cube » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:44 pm

StephenIsFast wrote:I can't report them to the ssc site because I have to sign up on the site to report it.

I'm just going to pretend you are joking.

StephenIsFast

Postby StephenIsFast » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:28 am

Cube wrote:

No, I am not kidding, it won't report the errors to the ssc.ajworld.net bugtracker site unless I sign up because it won't let me anonymously do it. Looks like I will have to sign up to report the errors.

blind

Postby blind » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:32 am

StephenIsFast wrote:
Cube wrote:

No, I am not kidding, it won't report the errors to the ssc.ajworld.net bugtracker site unless I sign up because it won't let me anonymously do it. Looks like I will have to sign up to report the errors.

First to get 1,000,000 xp.
R.I.P. first place. :(

Stepdude

Postby Stepdude » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:24 am

I like it but seriously, have you been testing it out? The framerate is TERRIBLE, and my computer is not bad by any means. Framerate drops even on the ultralight theme.

Fix it and I might use it.

foxfire667

Postby foxfire667 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:22 pm

Stepdude wrote:I like it but seriously, have you been testing it out? The framerate is TERRIBLE, and my computer is not bad by any means. Framerate drops even on the ultralight theme.

Like, consistently dropping below 60 FPS? It's pretty pointless to have the game run at anything higher than that honestly, unless you really want those extra frames you can't see.

If you do mean below 60 FPS, it most likely is your computer. Myself and others who have tried this version have had no issues with below 60 FPS framerates.

Stepdude

Postby Stepdude » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:20 pm

It's not even close to 60 fps, and no, it's not my computers fault. I've tried re-installing and still the same low fps.
I'm not the only one with the problem either. Something is wrong with it.

StephenIsFast

Postby StephenIsFast » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:13 pm

Stepdude wrote:I like it but seriously, have you been testing it out? The framerate is TERRIBLE, and my computer is not bad by any means. Framerate drops even on the ultralight theme.

I have the same problem. :( I would defenitly be a good tester for this, because not being to run the game at even 40 fps sucks. It isn't my computer doing the problem, either. There really needs more testing on this beta.

Cube
Site Admin

Postby Cube » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:18 pm

StephenIsFast wrote:

I have the same problem. :( I would defenitly be a good tester for this, because not being to run the game at even 40 fps sucks. It isn't my computer doing the problem, either. There really needs more testing on this beta.

Your computer itself might not be your problem but your configuration is DEFINITELY the problem. I'm guessing you are using windows. Are you running with opengl or d3d? Full screen? Windowed? vsync on or off?

Stepdude

Postby Stepdude » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:36 am

Cube wrote:
StephenIsFast wrote:

Your computer itself might not be your problem but your configuration is DEFINITELY the problem. I'm guessing you are using windows. Are you running with opengl or d3d? Full screen? Windowed? vsync on or off?

I have the exact same configuration on the other sm's and they work perfectly fine.

Return to “StepMania Online News”