General Noteskin Spritesheet/Guidelines

General stepmania and stepmania online discussions.
SpoOkyGames

General Noteskin Spritesheet/Guidelines

Postby SpoOkyGames » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:32 pm

So, a while ago, I made a post on facebook about general spritesheets for noteskins. (SM5) I thought I'd make a post about it as well. Let's start by showing you the following images...

Spoiler: show

The yellow box area is where you should draw your image/sprite/arrow. You can only go 1 pixel outside this box though. Keep that in mind. However, I don't recommend that you do for symmetrical/spacing sake. Keep the sprite/arrow centered in the area. You can use the green/light blue lines as a guide. They are centered on the frame.

You may be wondering why is there multiple frames/boxes. This is for timing and animation. Each file is named differently for a reason. The first one is 1x8. The second is 4x8. The last one is 8x8. Vertically, is the note timing. (top to bottom.) The order is: 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th, 24th, 32nd, 48th, and 64th. (There is also 192nd but, I think that's automatically drawn or uses the last one.) Left to Right is the animation. The 1x8 does not require animation. The 4x8 has 4 frames of animation. the 8x8 has 8 frames of animation. Basically, the idea is this: (Note Timing x Animation Length) If you need more/less frames, you can alter the file as needed and change the *x* filename.

Note: These are for double resolution and SM5. If you want SM 3.95, you need the frames to be 64x64 pixels. Double Resolution uses 128x128 pixels.

Edit: For the low resolution/SM 3.95 users; I made these. Your welcome.

Edit: Here is an example with the doubleres noteskin. You will notice I went out the yellow box. This is fine as long as it's only 1 pixel outside it.

Edit: Kyzentun wrote:
If your sprite isn't doubleres and you're playing at a large resolution like 1920x1200, then going outside the yellow box will make crap appear on the adjacent frame. You need to leave a 1 pixel border of blank pixels around each frame of a sprite.
If you can't see the crap, just change it to something obvious, like neon pink, or hold shift when taking a screenshot and look closely.
This is true for notes and for normal sprites made with Def.Sprite. Just load the sprite sheet in a test sprite and you'll see it.

Edit: Jousway wrote:
I never understood why doubleres got added cuz you can already do doubleres and even quadres or w/e res on images using (res 64x64) for example, like I take your first image the

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105712481/noteskin%201x8%20%28doubleres%29.png

and I want to use it as doubleres in 3.9 or w/e other version that doesnt have the "doubleres for dummies tag"

I just call it

noteskin 1x8 (res 64x512).png

TADA double ress in 3.9. 3.95, itg, w/e your game is

~ SpoOkyMagician
"You don't have to understand me; I'm just there!" ~ SpoOkyMagician on himself.

Return to “General Stepmania Discussions”