@@'s Small Suggestion Thread

Suggest new ideas for SMO
@@

@@'s Small Suggestion Thread

Postby @@ » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:59 pm

My Suggestion Thread (for things that are easy to fix/implement)!

Open-Ended Issues:

1.The Thread Graveyard counting posts. Was there a decision to make the thread graveyard do this? I know it is defaulted as counting posts, but if anything it really shouldn't. This is a very easy fix but requires an admin.
2. Implementing a quick reply feature. This has not been addressed by any moderators or administrators.
3. Adding forum ranks (ranks that change by post count). This has been minimally debated between another ordinary user and I. This has not been addressed by any moderators or administrators.
4. Advanced search features. One feature, searching by pack has been addressed saying that you guys may be implementing this in the future, however the other suggested searches have not been addressed, those being: Simfile Author, Song Author, and song length.
5. Going on tapatalk. Has not been addressed by any admins/moderators.
6. Like button on main page. Has not been addressed by any admins/moderators.

Closed Issues:

Last edited by @@ on Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:17 am, edited 9 times in total.

Izzy

Re: Small Suggestion

Postby Izzy » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:02 am

*sigh*

Just my OCD at work, but the forum sections seemed unbalanced and that section needed another board. Have any ideas what I could replace it with?

@@

Postby @@ » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:57 am

First thought is a "free for all"

but that would probably be a bad idea in the long run.

I remember there was a place in the old smo like "The Graveyard" or something where locked posts went so you could see what not to post. That may be useful.

foxfire667

Postby foxfire667 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:03 am

Well, there are quite a few people I've met on SMO who seem to speak Spanish as their primary language. Perhaps general discussion could have a Spanish category, so that people can post threads and talk to others, and not have to worry about people not understanding them.

@@

Postby @@ » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:10 pm

I really don't want to keep having to make one sentence threads with small suggestions, so I think I am going to make this thread any small suggestions I have.

Another small suggestion: being able to like posts

Cube
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Cube » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:28 pm

@@

Postby @@ » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:44 pm

pretty much what I mean is a feature to in some way highlight a user's post if it is constructive (or funny I guess, depending on where it is posted) so people can draw more attention to it. The thanks add on seems cool, it would probably be good.

foxfire667

Postby foxfire667 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:15 pm

@@

Postby @@ » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:35 pm

Small suggestion: I'm not sure if the feature is already implemented and there is just no way to change it, but another small suggestion is to make posts in the thread graveyard not count towards post count. that may deter from shit-posting a small amount.

From personal experience, Immaturity and the amount post count matters have a positive correlation.

foxfire667

Postby foxfire667 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:09 pm

@@

Postby @@ » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:06 am

Small Suggestion: Advanced search on the home page. I would like to be able to search by simfile author and by song author but those are currently not possible. Setting up some sort of advanced search link (like advanced search on forums as opposed to the quick search) would prevent the search section on the front page from getting too cluttered with search bars.

Things I'd like to be able to search for:
Simfile Author
Song Author
cdtitle
pack
song length

super micro suggestion I don't care about that much: rankings on the forum :D

@@

Postby @@ » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:04 pm

I hate to double post, but I doubt a new suggestion would get any attention if I edited my previous post...

Besides the things I listed in my previous post, which I am unsure anyone really even looked at, it would be nice if different charts for the same song could be separated on the leaderboard. For example, for ageha, the leaderboard for the song is somewhat a mess because of the different steps for the song people play on. It would be pretty easy to separate the steps, I really doubt two files with the same exact amount of arrows total would be different.

Cube
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Cube » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:47 pm

There is something in the works that will allow to do this kind of stuff. It is currently impossible to search by pack... but that will change soon :)

The charts being separated is also part of this change as well.

@@

Postby @@ » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:39 pm

Ok, well, this may or may not be at all helpful, but I remember there being a paypal donate button on the bottom right of old smo that had a little thing listing who has donated and stuff.

I'm not sure how much it takes to run this, but I see no disadvantages to having another one of those, especially seeing how many files you are hosting and the bandwidth it takes to download gigs and gigs of files.

Obviously, another low priority item. I would donate $5 also.

Cube
Site Admin

Postby Cube » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:08 am

Thanks for that suggestion. I'm sure many people would be happy to donate, but we are doing this for the love of SMO.

I'm sure houkouonchi would agree as well :)

Izzy

Postby Izzy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:38 am

The suggestion already came up in the past by people willing to donate and Houkouonchi has already denied the idea. He is surely grateful for the offer, but he doesn't seem to need financial help.

@@

Re: @@'s Small Suggestion Thread

Postby @@ » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:56 am

Some more minor suggestions:

1. Implement a quick reply feature.
2. Add forum ranks (ranks that change by post count)
3. Add a marquee button (that's just for the lulz though).

There may be other extensions you find useful on the phpbb website, you may want to check them out (I assume you already have)

Kaya

Postby Kaya » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:17 pm

I think they are all alright suggestions, however forum rank could also be a bad one depending.

Forum ranking based off post count creates a situation where it encourages people to spam because they want to up their post count. We all know people who are like that I am sure, :roll: and as much as I think the rewards for being here a long time eventually, posting a lot of helpful things, or just being friendly would be good, maybe a post based system like that might not be the best idea.

But then again, we could also have forums that deduct post count if posted in, or if you move said post to that forum section, which could counter balance the spam.

I think banning someone over spam is a little harsh unless it's in excess, but anther option that could allow the post count reward system to would could be adding a couple more mods, and have them police the forums and every time that someone spams, add a counter to them like a point warning system, then on the 10th spam they get their post count manually knocked down by 30 posts. (Admins can change a persons post count with phpbb last I checked.) If they continue to spam again THEN ban them?

Just my 2¢

@@

Postby @@ » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:48 pm

foxfire667

Postby foxfire667 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:33 pm

Return to “SMO Suggestions”