Periodic tournaments + user tournaments

Suggest new ideas for SMO
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
EvilAngel00
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Periodic tournaments + user tournaments

Postby EvilAngel00 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:39 pm

I've been part of the Guitar Hero community for quite while (actually I started music games with GH in late 2008) and the community website (scorehero) has a pretty cool feature.

Periodically, something like once every 3 months they run a tournament with a special format:

- the first week everybody plays the same songs (chosen by the admins ofc)
- at the end of the week, players are put in different leagues based on their average score
- there was another round for another week but then iirc the songs were different among the leagues, based on player levels
- and I think that there was another round with say the 8 best players but I'm not sure

So the idea to adapt this to SMO popped in my head (but maybe it's already planned, I think I saw that in the thread for the community pack that there was this idea to track its songs on a separate leaderboard).

The format of score tracking doesn't give much room for cheating (unlike scorehero where all the score have to be input manually). A mini-pack of 5-10 songs could be made by the admins with some sort of "watermark" to prove the song hasn't been modified and / or to track the right song for the tournament (not sure if this is possible, I guess it would still be necessary to rely on the fairness of the players...). Nevertheless there wouldn't be much at stake except for potential banners in the profile or something like that.

-------------------------------------------------

The second part of the title would rely on a similar tracking system but it would be created by a single user.

One could have the possibility to create its own tournament (or league), make it available to everyone or lock it with a password, give a duration (hours, days, ...) and list the songs (based on the way SMO tracks them, so I guess it could be possible to choose amongst the songs the user has played for instance).

This seems like a lot of work and I guess you guys are crawling through WIPs but once more I think you're doing a great job in making everyone happy so I can only thank you for that and hope that you'll consider my ideas one way or another :)
Last edited by EvilAngel00 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cube
Site Admin

Re: Periodic tournaments + user tournaments

Postby Cube » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:08 pm

Interesting... I think this could be more manageable once we get the average ranking system complete, and some of the other tools that will be available soon can help make this more feasible.

@ENERGY

Postby @ENERGY » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:21 am

I was about of making such a topic.This is an excellent idea and in my opinion this would give the chance to people that they are 300+ worldwide position to be 'popular' and well known between other SM Players.

Rhythm

Postby Rhythm » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:25 pm

Have people begun to implement this idea?

owenviau1

Postby owenviau1 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:07 pm

I like this idea, SMO Tournament 2014! :D

Return to “SMO Suggestions”