Server Stability

News about StepMania Online.
houkouonchi
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Server Stability

Postby houkouonchi » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:24 pm

So I think I finally verified what causes the freezes and fixed the problem.

It looks like when a users connection timed out in a weird way due to a connection problem (like a router reset) and not just a normal client crash you could get a case where the user could login a second time and be duplicated. If the new user played a song while the duplicated user is still on the server it caused the freeze. A couple people helped me verify this last night.

I changed the server code so now when you login it checks to see if your already logged in and will kick your original connection (disconnecting the user) when you login the second time which should prevent this situation from coming up.

Also the other major bug starting a song when a player lacks or right when a player joins it causes everyone to hang I think that bug is taken care of to. I implemented a bunch of the newer code from Angelo's OpenSMO that fixed this. Before running all the code changes caused the server to be crashy but it seems ok with just the change for fixing this bug. If it does crash unlike before we have the ability to easily trace what line it is crashing on and thus can be troubleshooted pretty easily (much easier than these freezes that don't give us debugging output).

I tested quite a few cases (even a hung client) and in the case where a lacker would cause a problem their client just doesnt start playing (everyone else does) and they have to wait for the next song. Or if a person spam selects and everyone lacks then only that person will start and the others wont without hanging.

As of 10 minutes ago the server is running this new version which I hope will prove to be much more stable.

Izzy

Re: Server Stability

Postby Izzy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:28 pm

This seems like pretty big news.

If that server wide freeze is actually fixed by removing duplicates then we can probably hit a week or more in uptime.

bombastik
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby bombastik » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:31 pm

I hope too that this will make server more stable ;)

Cube
Site Admin

Postby Cube » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:32 pm

2 days is the record without a freeze. Hopefully this is it! Then we can really start on the new features.

foxfire667

Postby foxfire667 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:13 pm

This is absolutely phenomenal news! The server up-time without these little freezes getting in the way will be so much better, I may never need to reconnect to the smo server again due to connection loss!

houkouonchi
Site Admin

Postby houkouonchi » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:06 pm

Ok so we got a crash which has to do with the server logging. Honestly I am using a dfifferent method (native to linux) to log the output (including error output for stack trace stuff) and we have gotten this crash before so I think I am going to disable the logging to the file in the server code all together and let the linux function take care of that from the program output to console.

houkouonchi
Site Admin

Postby houkouonchi » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:13 pm

houkouonchi
Site Admin

Postby houkouonchi » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:35 pm

Up 3.5 hours and counting...

houkouonchi
Site Admin

Postby houkouonchi » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:25 pm

Server has not crashed since I updated it to a newer release 11.5 hours ago. If I see that same new crash again and I cant successfully create an exception to avoid the crash then I will roll back the fix that prevents users from starting while people lack and client hang and just have the freeze fix in it.

houkouonchi
Site Admin

Postby houkouonchi » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:42 pm

Ok. The sever is no longer including the part of the fix that would prevent the client hang when u started and one of the clients left but hopefully should be stable as it was that code change causing the crash and not the freeze fix code change.

houkouonchi
Site Admin

Postby houkouonchi » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:00 pm

houkouonchi
Site Admin

Postby houkouonchi » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:58 am

Izzy

Postby Izzy » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:07 pm

houkouonchi
Site Admin

Postby houkouonchi » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:12 pm

EvilAngel00

Postby EvilAngel00 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:20 am

Izzy

Postby Izzy » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:37 am

It's already been tested, but it isn't live quite yet. Houkou will probably make a post here once he updates the current version.

bombastik

Postby bombastik » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:16 am

houkouonchi
Site Admin

Postby houkouonchi » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:31 am

if your getting <1ms and its an easy song (like AAA) and your +/- number count is almost even then that usually means your spot on and your sync is very close to what it should be.

bombastik

Postby bombastik » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:03 am

Tnx for info ;)

P.S. offtopic,i didnt know that u know japanese ahahaha

houkouonchi
Site Admin

Postby houkouonchi » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:19 pm

Return to “StepMania Online News”