When you just can't figure SMO out. No bugs please.
11 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1
• Page 1 of 1
Here at SMO, we are attempting to create a playing environment that is concise, and enjoyable for everyone involved. Since this is the case, there needs to be a certain structure of order in how people handle themselves on the Stepmania Online server. So I please ask of you to look over the guidelines and rules regarding using the SMO server, so that we can make this as pleasant of an experience for the community as possible!
When in or entering another person's room...
- Before entering, ALWAYS check the room on the SMO website to ensure a song is not about to be started, or is in the process of being played. If you enter a room when a song is about to start, you can hang every player in that room and force them to have to reload StepMania. If you choose to enter a room when a song is being played, keep in mind that you will have to wait until they are done to communicate with them.
- Before entering, please make sure if they specifically list packs in the title or description, that you have all the packs listed. They made the room to specifically play those files, so don't enter unless you have them in the first place.
- Before entering, please make sure you don't join a room that is playing a different style than you are. For example, if you are playing 4-key keyboard, DO NOT go into a pad, PIU, or solo room. Typically rooms that are not 4-key keyboard will be specifically labeled in the title or the description (or have packs listed like DDR, ITG, DWI, solo, etc).
- Before entering, do NOT enter a room that has a title or description that is in a language you cannot translate yourself. If you cannot communicate to a user because you both speak different languages, it makes playing with one another extremely difficult. If you are not 100% fluent but can communicate go ahead, but if your English / Spanish / etc is too broken, than it is almost as bad as not being able to communicate at all.
- When in a room, do NOT immediately start spamming song picks just because free has been activated. If the room owner or an operator denotes that everyone is allowed to pick, wait and take turns if there are a few users in the room. Obviously if the owner allows you to consistently pick songs or others say they don't care to pick, then that is fine, but don't hog picks.
- When in a room, do NOT immediately start choosing songs. People with lots of files may have multiple versions of the same song, or may not be ready to play just yet. Whenever a song is chosen, ALWAYS wait for everyone in the room to say they are ready, or likewise if they say they are always ready, wait for everyone who hasn't said this before beginning.
- When in a room, do NOT consistently beg for an operator position. For the most part, when /free is active you don't even need to be an operator anyway, so it is pointless to be complaining about not being one. It is obnoxious and takes away the fun of playing with others if all that is happening is people are seeing constant complaining.
- When in a room, (obviously) do NOT spam. Pretty simple, spamming posts will probably get you immediately kicked by the room owner anyway.
- When in a room, try to pick files from packs that are more common. Try to stay away from picking files from rather obscure packs or single releases, and if you are unsure, ask the room owner what stuff they have for a guideline. You may like that random song you got off of some Turkish SM site that died 8 years ago, but I doubt anyone else has it, so save some time and skip over it.
When creating a room or being it's owner...
- When naming your room, always try to give some details about what packs you have, and how you are playing. You will be able to get more relevant people if you name your room "Joes Keyboard Room - KBMP's, VGMP's, and FFRCP's" than you will if you name your room "asdsa - asad".
- When you are the room owner, try your best to be respectful of other users choices. Don't complain about disliking a song, although if you know the difficulty may be too steep for you, recommend something easier for you to play. Likewise if you see that a player is having trouble keeping up with your song selections, try to tone it down for them. It's supposed to be fun for everyone, let's not torture the less skilled with crazy speed and JS (unless of course you specifically put in your room description it was harder songs only).
- When you are the room owner, although kicking people is at your discretion, DO NOT ABUSE THIS POWER! Kicking people for reasons other than being very rude or going against the rules / etiquette is a terrible thing to do.
- Please try your best to be as helpful and supportive of other users as you can. There is no need for pointless arguing and making fun of others, so play nice.
- If a song is picked that you do not have, always ask what pack it is from so you can download it later. If you download packs every time you are lacking songs, eventually you will be able to play with most anyone without constantly being "that guy who has no packs".
- When you play with others, try to at least have a few packs downloaded already. Download some starter stuff , and download more packs from the thread I posted . You don't need to have every pack ever created, but you should have at least 20 or 30 before even stepping foot into the SMO lobby. Otherwise you will probably lack every song others pick and it won't be fun for you.
- When you come across someone who may have entered SMO for the first time, try your best to direct them to all the information they will need to get them started. The more quickly we educate new members on how everything works, the smoother the community will run as it grows.
- If someone joins your room and has very few packs (or merely less than you), you should allow them to do the picking. The person with the least packs will probably be able to pick songs you all have, but obviously it wouldn't be the same if you choose everything. Of course be sure to tell them where and how to get the packs they need so they can make the most out of SMO before they leave. The more packs people have, the easier it will be for people to play with one another.
- If for some reason a person who is in your room is not responding (and hasn't stated they would be right back), ask them nicely to respond. If they don't comply, tell them you will give them another 30-60 seconds to respond before you kick them. Sometimes people accidentally leave SMO active when they have to do something, but it is best to give them a chance to respond before you give them the boot.
- If you are going to significantly elevate the difficulty in your song choices, you should confirm with the rest of the people in the room if that is okay. No need to jump from Ageha to Jackhammer Madness if players aren't warmed enough or aren't skilled enough to keep up. A steady but mild increase in difficulty among choices would be ideal if you are all trying to warm up.
If there is anything else that anyone would like to add to this list, feel free to post it here.
Keep in mind that not everything on this list is equally annoying or kick/ban worthy. As of now I won't assign any sort of length of time or infraction accumulation for such things, and leave these decisions to the discretion of the staff members who are alerted of the behavior. Chances are though that any sort of actual punishment will only commence from those reported or found to be consistently repeating one or multiple infractions on this list. Everyone makes a mistake every once and a while, but it's when people are consistently ignorant that is genuinely annoying. Let's all try our best to make SMO as fun as it can possibly be, don't be annoying to other players and follow these simple guidelines!
Last edited by SpoOkyGames on Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Site Admin
- Posts: 354
- Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:18 am [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
I am thinking a 1 second delay would be enough to prevent two people selecting songs at the same time and having the first one start.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest