StepMania 5 Theming Guide (Updated: 12/31/2016)

When you just can't figure SMO out. No bugs please.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
SpoOkyGames

StepMania 5 Theming Guide (Updated: 12/31/2016)

Postby SpoOkyGames » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:14 am

Last edited by SpoOkyGames on Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:10 am, edited 49 times in total.
"You don't have to understand me; I'm just there!" ~ SpoOkyMagician on himself.

SpaceGorilla
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: StepMania 5 Theming Guide

Postby SpaceGorilla » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:03 am

When this is done it should replace the theming page on stepmania.com, lol.
I'm from space.

And I'm a gorilla.

SpoOkyGames

Re: StepMania 5 Theming Guide

Postby SpoOkyGames » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:15 am

It would be nice yeah. We need to get everything confirmed though by the developers though.

Edit: Updated title so I can let you know if/when I make an update to this.

Edit: More notes added here/there and reformatted post.

~ SpoOkyMagician

Arc Futahito

Re: StepMania 5 Theming Guide (Updated: 6/19/2016)

Postby Arc Futahito » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:21 pm

Was looking everywhere for a comprehensive guide about theming. Thanks a lot!

VideoGameStar

Postby VideoGameStar » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:44 am

Small note: the new display settings make the spoilers hard to read. You might want to fix that ;)

Quick question: will this also apply for SM3.9, or is there something else?
I need your urgent help with my Science Fair! Click the link to the topic I made in these forums to know more and answer the interview I need a lot of people to answer!

SpoOkyGames

Postby SpoOkyGames » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:08 pm

@VideoGameStar: Yeah, I was hoping the colors would return to their original states by now... Seems cube has not done that yet... I'll ask cube on his progress on that... As for your question, Not really. However, there are similar concepts within the guide that do apply. Instead of .lua files, you use... .ini files. (SM4 used .xml) I have not done that in ages. (If even at all. :\ ) There used to be a guide on it but, AFAIK, it's been taken down. I would still recommend reading this though. You may understand 3.9 theming somewhat at least from this. (or get the general idea. However, the syntax is much different.)

Edit: Cube made a temp fix for spoilers.

~ SpoOkyMagician

VideoGameStar

Postby VideoGameStar » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:36 pm

I need your urgent help with my Science Fair! Click the link to the topic I made in these forums to know more and answer the interview I need a lot of people to answer!

SpoOkyGames

Re: StepMania 5 Theming Guide (Updated: 12/31/2016)

Postby SpoOkyGames » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:34 am

Yeah, custom images and such are doable. You may have to code them from scratch depending on what you want to do though. I recommend using what SM has to offer unless you just don't like it/doesn't do what you want. (Like banners, music wheel, etc. Believe me, you do not want to mess with customized screenselectmusic/music wheel... That was a pain to deal with... However, doable.) Anyway, you just have to load the actor/sprite/sound/etc and customize it as needed. (From code.) Note, if you are working with SM 3.9 or 4, I am not sure if everything still applies here. I didn't theme too much in those days. Except, maybe change colors around...

~ SpoOkyMagician

Return to “SMO Help”