Best Keyboard for Stepmania

General stepmania and stepmania online discussions.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
@@

Best Keyboard for Stepmania

Postby @@ » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:51 pm

My keyboard is currently dying, however it wasn't very good to begin with. Do you guys have any recommendations for a keyboard?

Obviously being able to do more than two keys at once is kind of important...

Cube
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Best Keyboard for Stepmania

Postby Cube » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:09 am

DarkDino

Postby DarkDino » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:47 pm

Genius Gaming Keyboard KB-G235

Izzy

Postby Izzy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:52 pm

I recently got the newer kengsinton slim model to replace my old one that is dieing.

PortalLife

Postby PortalLife » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:39 pm

I've got a QPAD MK50. It uses mech switches which are a lot easier to press than standard rubber dome keyboards, and you can feel the press more.

Mech gaming keyboards should be really good for SM.

valewish

Postby valewish » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:59 am

I now use this kb and is good...but I am not very good on stepmania.

Anyway...Where can I find some suggestion for me? I'm new in this forum and I play index for a year.

I play ITGsongs...16s 17s...but I want to improve my fingerspeed :(((

Sorry for the possible errors but I am Italian and I don't know write in english very well XD
Attachments
Apple_wired_thin_keyboard-2007-08-11.jpg
Apple_wired_thin_keyboard-2007-08-11.jpg (221.06 KiB) Viewed 6501 times

GrueKun

Postby GrueKun » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:04 pm

I dunno. Personally I've found the newer rubber dome keyboards on the market these days to be a little trickier to play SM with simply because their keys all seem to have less curvature and have a mushy, uncertain feeling to them. The end result for me is on sets I'm less familiar with or generally push me to my limits I make more mistakes due to keys not registering or my fingers falling between keys on complex patterns.

Then some time ago I picked up an older Dell OEM keyboard from the recycle pile at work and swapped out my newer Logitech keyboard. It was a much more stable fit for me than what I had.

I suppose due to having less give it might have a disadvantage of speed in some of the more ridiculous songs, but the response and comfort makes up for it.

Espionage724

Postby Espionage724 » Mon May 05, 2014 7:32 pm

I'd probably recommend a mechanical keyboard; probably one with CHERRY MX Red switches just because of them being linear (never tried em though). Brown switches are pretty nice too (I use them). Blues work great as well (I originally used them).

IBM Model M is also a pretty good keyboard, but unless you can find one in good condition or feel like fixing one up, or even buying a Unicomp one, I might just suggest CHERRY MX switch boards.

Return to “General Stepmania Discussions”