Stepmania 3.9 vs Stepmania 5...

General stepmania and stepmania online discussions.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
UbeR
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Stepmania 3.9 vs Stepmania 5...

Postby UbeR » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:46 pm

This guy on YouTube () plays Stepmania like a God but he's using the outdated 3.9 version (i think), is there a reason so?

houkouonchi
Site Admin

Re: Stepmania 3.9 vs Stepmania 5...

Postby houkouonchi » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:08 pm

SpoOkyGames

Postby SpoOkyGames » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:13 pm

A lot of people argue that it's easier to MA on the old 3.9(5) compared to sm5. Personally, I just don't see it. I do about the same on both versions. Anyway, you are correct. There are not many themes out for sm5 but, the reason is obvious. (well, it is to me anyway.) While I do like SM 3.9(5) for the old school style, it's nice/fast reloading time, it's just not up to SM 5 standards/updates/etc. Overall, what I am saying is;

StepMania 3.9(5) is good. However...
StepMania 5 is better.

I am sure you could probably search ffr, stepmania, etc website/forums and find similar topics on this somewhere. It's really just a matter of preference.

~ SpoOkyMagician
"You don't have to understand me; I'm just there!" ~ SpoOkyMagician on himself.

houkouonchi
Site Admin

Postby houkouonchi » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:14 pm

good points. In the end I will always use openITG as that is the only one I have found that is actually stable on linux. With an SSD loading on sm 3.95 is almost the same as sm5 for me although loading new songs is way slower but I do not do that all that often.

Espionage724

Postby Espionage724 » Mon May 05, 2014 7:27 pm

I prefer OpenITG for an arcade-like experience; I can just throw ITG3 theme on it and be good to go.

As for StepMania 5, I do like that it's more up-to-date and loads faster, but up until recently, I wasn't really able to find a good theme to give an arcade-like experience. Earlier today I found , which seems to work fine (but not as well as oITG + ITG3 imo for arcade).

So for personal usage, SM5 + waiei theme. Arcade is OpenITG + ITG3 theme.

As for score accuracy/performance between the two, I can't really comment, but I don't notice any huge difference between the two.

As for Linux, I managed to get oITG running with minimal effort (grabbed the pre-compiled binaries of it and beta3 update, installed a dependency, got it going; working videos and all). SM5 I had to compile from source (no idea if updated pre-compiled binaries exist for it), which was bit more effort (could either get it going without background videos, or get it compiled with the videos and have it crash after each song). Both work fine on Windows of course though (needed vc2012 redist for SM5b3 though).

Return to “General Stepmania Discussions”