How can I become adept at Jumpstreams/Handstreams?

General stepmania and stepmania online discussions.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
XgenSlayer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

How can I become adept at Jumpstreams/Handstreams?

Postby XgenSlayer » Fri May 16, 2014 1:46 pm

I've become decent at normal streams, and I am now able to do them at 220 BPM. However, when jumps come into the stream, I can't process it through my mind easily and it just screws me over even at BPMs as low as 160. How am I able to gain skill at jumpstreams so I can progress further in StepMania? My CMod is 525, by the way. I know it's somewhat slow, but I just can't read notes well if I turn it up much higher.

I play with a style different than others, and I like to call it Four-Fingered. (I position my Left Middle Finger on the left arrow key, my Left Index Finger on the down arrow key, my Right Middle Finger on the up arrow key, and my Right Index Finger on the right arrow key.) I tried playing with Spread, but I couldn't get the hang of it even after 20 songs.

foxfire667

Re: How can I become adept at Jumpstreams/Handstreams?

Postby foxfire667 » Fri May 16, 2014 8:00 pm

If you want to increase your skill with JS/HS, the most important thing is to start mentally recognizing patterns. Once you pick up on mental shortcuts, you will be able to nail those sorts of patterns without even thinking about it, which is probably how you are handling streams. If simply playing strings of JS/HS files isn't aiding with this sort of recognition, it might help to open the SM file editor so you can mess around with the BPM and those types of patterns. You'll be able to isolate problem sections, play them over as much as you need (at any speed), and look at the arrows like a still image if needed.

As you can adjust both the BPM and the rate of a file, you can play a problem pattern at a far slower speed, and slowly increase the speed as you grow more comfortable and gain proficiency. Once you are fairly confident with most JS/HS patterns, you can work on your stamina with them (as it's obviously more intense than streams when played for an extended period). You are already are fairly fast, so I'll assume you know a bit about stamina building.

Hope that helps a bit.

XgenSlayer

Re: How can I become adept at Jumpstreams/Handstreams?

Postby XgenSlayer » Sat May 17, 2014 5:10 am

Yes, I do understand stamina building, because I've been needing it more and more recently. ;)
The only jumpstream file I have that I can play half-decently is Game Time, so I'll follow your procedure and see what happens then.
Thanks for the reply, and I appreciate you trying to help me! :thumb:

Return to “General Stepmania Discussions”