Uncertain but possible glitch

General stepmania and stepmania online discussions.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
aceofspades
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Uncertain but possible glitch

Postby aceofspades » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:43 pm

I'm not very sure if this is a glitch or not so i decided to put this on the general discussion. I have noticed during my playing that there are two arrow combos that I cannot hit and it has been bugging me for a while now. Those combos are as follows: left, down, right and all four. Did you intentionally leave out these two combos or was it a mistake on your part.

foxfire667

Re: Uncertain but possible glitch

Postby foxfire667 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:28 pm

This has absolutely nothing to do with SMO, it's your own keyboard causing the problem. Most keyboards have an issue with pressing certain combinations of keys at the same time called . You must modify your setup to allow for all four keys to be properly registered at once in order to play StepMania correctly.

aceofspades

Postby aceofspades » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:49 am

Ok so I looked at the link you put up and read the article. The key setting that I use is 8, 4, 6, and 2 (up, left. right. and down respectively). Is there a particular set up that you would suggest? I prefer set ups where I could use both hand instead of one.

foxfire667

Postby foxfire667 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:40 am

That is an odd setup for two hands, generally that is a one handed one.

Typical two handed or spread setups include (keys in order of left, down, up, right): ASKL / QWOP / DFJK / ZXM,
Sometimes people use diagonal setups like QSLP / AXML / EFJI

Every keyboard is different, just because they are more common doesn't mean they will work on your keyboard guaranteed. I have been using the ASKL setup personally.

aceofspades

Postby aceofspades » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:12 am

Thanks for the suggestion. I just tested it out on a few easy songs and I've been able to hit all the arrow combos i couldn't before. Its going to take some time to get the muscle memory down but either way thank you.

foxfire667

Postby foxfire667 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:45 am

Yeah I'm sure it will considering your prior setup, but it should be a lot more comfortable for you once you get the hang of it. No problem!

Izzy

Postby Izzy » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:23 am

Prior to the popularity of spread playstyles people used to play with 4 fingers on the arrow keys. Oddly enough it made things like 1 handed trills nonexistant because your other fingers were close enough to carry over. It might even have much more potential assuming you have a keyboard that can hit all 4 down at once.

Return to “General Stepmania Discussions”